Friday, January 29, 2010

Book Review: Abbess of Andalusia

The Abbess of Andalusia: Flannery O'Connor's Spiritual Journey The Abbess of Andalusia: Flannery O'Connor's Spiritual Journey by Lorraine V Murray


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I enjoyed this book immensely. It has really encouraged me to read more of Miss O'Connor's work.

There were some unfortunate editorial gaffs in the book which surprised me: A sentence repeated twice on the same page, a couple of other sentences which, try as I might, I couldn't make sense from.

There was also what seemed to be a spell-check error (a correctly spelled word that should have been another word entirely), although it may have been a local term I was not familiar with. There is some dialectic use of language in the book.

I also thought there was a bit of preachiness in the presentation of Miss O'Connor's Catholicism. That may simply be that as a Catholic myself, I saw on my own what was being pointed out by the author.

Still, this did not take away from the fascinating personality and life of Flannery O'Connor. I recommend this book.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: