Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Getting older

Hi Folks

Recently, I was told I needed more work at figuring things out.  I was then summarily launched into a project with very few tools.  I had to 'figure things out'.

It was a huge challenge for me.  The project involved several things which are almost entirely new to me, including learning from the user guides provided for computer programs.

I quickly realized that computer program user guides are not always particularly well written, or well indexed.

After losing a major part of my work because I did not properly save a file (due to my inattention and my difficulty with program interface), the trial work I finally submitted was not very good.

I then had a few days away, so I mulled some things over.

Being told that I needed work on figuring things out carried a little sting.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the words were very true.

I have a Blackberry on which I send and receive calls and the rare, awkward text message.  I also play Sudoku.  I haven't figured out anything else.

I have a nearly new computer purchased for my work purposes (like the aforementioned project) for which I have not made recovery disks.  Didn't figure that out, either.


For many reasons, I've become much too good at either delegating challenges I face, or just ignoring them.

So it's true.  I need more work at figuring things out.



In the Book of the Acts of the Apostles, we hear the Ethiopian Eunuch ask "How can I (learn) unless someone teaches me?"  He was referring to Scripture, but the same could be applied to nearly anything else.

In the Gospel of Matthew, we are told "Ask and we shall receive, knock and it shall be opened."

One thing I am very glad to not have to figure out, is Catholicism.  Despite destructive action from within and without for two millennia, it is still leading us to a deeper knowledge of God through His Son, Jesus.  Not having to figure out just what the Church expects, leaves us with the spiritual energy to go deeper.  We don't have to be our own Pope!

Whew.  If I have trouble figuring out a computer program, how on earth could I expect to figure out God?

No comments: