Monday, April 11, 2011

Was it or Was it not a Miracle?

Hmmm.  New med.  Adjustment is going well and I'm feeling pretty good.  Apparently I'm not exactly on my game yet though.

Yesterday at Mass we heard about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.  But there was a twist in the homily.

Given that Jesus was "Firstborn from the Dead", Lazarus couldn't have been dead.  Even though Father was wearing rose on the Fifth Sunday of Lent (Laetare Sunday is the Fourth Sunday...and that is when rose vestments MAY be worn) I bought the line.

And then I thought about it.  The raising of Lazarus had just been un-miraclized (my word!) before my eyes and ears. 

If Lazarus was not truly dead, then Jesus did not perform the miracle of raising him.  Poppycock.

But it is true that Jesus IS Firstborn from the Dead.  A brief consult with some people with better-functioning brains than mine said that Jesus rose from the dead and conquered death by not dying again.  He ascended to Heaven.  THAT is the difference.  Lazarus did eventually die and return to dust as all men subject to sin will do.

I'm embarassed for myself.

No comments: